Education is a global endeavor. So is Sakai.
Sakai is a truly global solution backed by a truly global community.
The Sakai community spans six continents and 15 countries, with Sakai available in more than 20 languages.
Many institutions. Many faces. Many instructional styles. One Sakai.
Sakai offers tremendous flexibility around look and feel, functionality, capabilities, etc. It can do pretty much whatever you want an LMS to do.
By design, every institution makes Sakai its own. From look-and-feel to feature-function, the versatility is refreshing.
How should technology enrich learning? That’s up to you.
Educators are doing remarkable things with Sakai.
Valencian Internacional University’s award-winning ICT in Education uses Sakai to help educators reimagine what’s possible with technology-enabled learning.
Virginia Tech Sakai Story
Faculty and Institutions Innovate with Sakai tools.
The Pathways to Success program uses Sakai ePortfolio tools in an innovative way to balance large-scale institutional assessment with student-centered pedagogy and curriculum that is rooted within the disciplines.
With Sakai, you’re in good company. Sakai 10 is even better.
A lot of great universities use Sakai.
The Sakai project is the learning environment of choice for 350+ choice colleges and universities around the world. The new Sakai 10 release adds even more possibility to what can be done with Sakai.
Sakai 10.1 release is the latest. Highlights include:
- About 200 fixes or updates(compared with 10.0)
- Elastic Search upgrade from 0.9.0 to 1.1.2 and removal of legacy Search
- IMS Common Cartridge 1.3 support within Lessons. This makes IMS CC in Sakai capable of exchanging data with Moodle, Blackboard, and Canvas.
- Security - over a dozen security fixes.
- Accessibility - close to a dozen Accessibility fixes.
- Translations and i18n improvements - A number of updates to French and Chinese translations and about 1 1/2 dozen internationalization fixes including full i18n support in the Peer review feature of Lessons.
- Assignments tool - Improved handling of deleted groups in the Assignments tool. Basic validation to Single Uploaded File option to prevent students submitting an empty assignment.
- Forums tool - Performance improvement in Forums. Significant fixes to Forum Rank feature
- Gradebook row highlighting, for easier grading.
- Online Help - Ability to remove an entire help category (like OSP).
Sakai 10.0 release contains many improvements. Here are a few:
- Scalability and performance Improvements, including distributed cacheing, providing support for JCache/JSR-107
- Updated Security Improvements
- Two new tools which help with scheduling of events (such as office hours) and delegated access
- IMS LTI 2.0 - first learning system with support for the latest LTI spec. Makes integration with external tools easy.
- Major improvements to Assignments, Test and Quizzes, Gradebook, Syllabus, Lessons (aka LessonBuilder)
- Mobile device support improved through the addition and upgrade of robust APIs.
Current Adopters of Sakai
- IDEAL (Arizona Dept. of Education)
- Chadron State College
- Lake Erie College
- University of Bremen
- East Carolina University
- Albany Medical College
- University of Skovde
- Ecole Internationale des Sciences du Traitement de l'Information
- Maharishi University
- ULAN Project
- Dokuz Eylül University
- Wake Forest University
- Simon Fraser University
- eTech Ohio
- Washington & Jefferson College
- University of Alabama
- Teaching and Learning Research Programme
- Rice University
- University of Hull
- University of Windsor
- Saint-Petersburg State Polytechnic University
- Instituto Politecnico de Braganca
- Lubeck University of Applied Sciences
- Lancaster University